Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Old Facecrack Note from January 2010

The year 2010...a great time to start fresh.
I have been posting links to Peta as many of you have probably noticed. I realize that people feel uncomfortable about activism ect but I do urge you to watch this as it does affect your health and the health and welfare of animals across the world. I am not asking people to be vegetarians or vegans...I am asking people to KNOW where their food is coming from and hopefully after watching the videos they can make an educated decision about eating at places that knowingly purchase meat from suppliers that scald animals alive, use outdated and often unsuccessful forms of killing the animals and force them to live in spaces that are not big enough for them to move. It appalls me that we as a society would rather turn a blind eye, eat our hormone laden foods from animals that were pumped and plumped to the point of breaking their limbs then watch an informative albeit disturbing video on what we eat! we EAT each and every day...why is it that we do not seem to care what is happening to our food? Not to mention what all of these mass produced cost cutting methods do to our own health. Why is a cow producing TEN times the amount of milk that they should? how do you think that happens? how do you think those hormones affect our own health? I cannot possibly change my past and how I blindly purchased, consumed and have partaken in this industry I can however make the decision to purchase or not purchase. We as consumers have the most power in these situations. What we buy touches all facets of society, the effects of our purchases can be a positive or negative one. When we purchase food from stores, and restaurants that do not care how or why the meat is so cheap we are sending the message that it's okay, that we want no better for these animals. I listen to everyone's rants on here everyday regarding everything from religion to breastfeeding and though I may not agree with it...I DO read it. I read it because I am not always right, because another persons passion, idea or belief can in fact enlighten my own. I read it because I firmly believe that I am better off opening my mind to possibilities then closing it out of ignorance.
My personal plight of 2010 is to be an informed consumer, to make the changes I can make to impact the world in a more positive way. We are all consumers, and we all hold a great deal of power...why not use it for something good?
-Mz.Nin

No comments:

Post a Comment